Thursday, May 8, 2014

Kitchen Stuff

The kitchen is easily my favorite part of the renovation.  I've always known I wanted a white kitchen.  I'm still figuring out what my "look" will be, but in the interim, have made some basic decisions about cabinets and countertops.

Cabinet selection was a breeze. I went to Chesapeake Cabinetry off of Midlothian Turnpike. I knew that I want white cabinets. Simple shaker style, flat panel doors on most; and a few glass upper cabinet doors with traditional mullions. So, that was a pretty quick decision.




I have struggled with the counter top decision. I LUST over the look of carerra marble countertops. To me, that's the ultimate white kitchen. Nothing more beautiful. Alas, after the hotly contentious debate uncovered online, I have decided to stay realistic and go with granite. If you get an acid on carerra marble (like red wine, lemon, vinegar, spaghetti sauce), you must clean it up immediately or else it will "etch" or stain the marble. It is a more porous surface than granite and thus has to be cared for more mindfully. We typically clean up dishes from dinner the next morning, so, I know that those marble counters wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe in another life.

Carrera Marble -- oh how I love you so
Based on a bunch of internet research (Houzz, Pinterest and blogs), some white granites that supposedly look like marble that I will seek out during the selection appointment include the following. However, every slab is unique and it's hard to tell from an internet JPG what the stone actually looks like. So, it will obviously be an in-person decision. So, TBD...

Bianco Miramar

Coastal White

Kashmir White


Namibian White

Polar White

River White

Super White

White Fantasy

White Princess


No comments:

Post a Comment