Friday, May 16, 2014

Exterior Paint Colors

We are going to have the whole house painted so that the addition (Hardie plank siding) will match the old part of the house (red brick). We decided on painting the whole house gray for a few reason: 1) gray tends to be a bit more on the modern side, and since our house is a 50s ranch, I think this will really spruce it up; 2) all of the houses on our street are ranches, some painted, some not, and none of them are gray so I think it will be unique; and 3) I just really like gray.

My friend Amanda gave me a great suggestion for picking out exterior paint colors -- paint samples on multiple sides of the house (so that you can see how it looks different given the trees, shades, etc); paint multiple coats, as this is what the professionals will do; and look at your painted sample areas at different times of the day as the light changes.

We've driven around some neighborhoods and taken photos of gray painted houses we like. I've also done some research online. So far, I like:

Benjamin Moore Sandy Hook Gray

This looks a little beige in the paint swatch

But looks like a medium gray in this photo

Benjamin Moore Graystone

Nice medium gray, no green tint in my opinion

Looks crisp against the white
Benjamin Moore Cobblestone Path

Blue tint


Benjamin Moore Storm

Cool medium gray

Benjamin Moore Pelican Gray


Light cool gray


1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers Aluminum Siding painting

    ReplyDelete